2017 /2018 Wheat Varieties & Description
Listed in Order of Planting
· USG 3316: Full beard with true resistance to scab: highly resistant to leaf and head septoria, moderately resistant to soil-born viruses (heavier soils). Excellent tillering for geese-damage control.
· USG 3833: Very vigorous tillering wheat with outstanding
stripe rust resistance. Moderate tolerance to scab with very good test weight and superior resistance to soil-borne virus makes this a good choice for heavier soils. Smooth head.
· USG 3197:A stout wheat variety with consistent yields and good test weight: true resistance to scab and highly resistant to leaf and head septoria.
· USG 3404: Powerful wheat with high yields, very good test
weight and an outstanding disease package. Top yield in 2014 and
2015 VA Tech wheat variety trials.
- USG 3228: (NEW!) An early maturing variety with
true resistance to scab: superior disease package and smooth and very showy head. Must be managed intensely to produce.
· USG 3895: Introduced to compliment USG 3404: selected for lighter peanut, cotton and tobacco soils due to deep rooting. Above average resistance to head septoria plus leaf and stripe rust.
· USG 3523: First late planting/early-heading wheat released in a long time. Superb disease package with outstanding yields. Top overall yield in VA Tech state wheat trials with 3404.
Planting Window for Renwood Wheat Varieties
Group 1: USG 3316 USG 3833 USG 3197
Group 2 & 3: USG 3404 USG 3895 USG 3228 (NEW!)
Group 4: USG 3523